Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Pre-Birthday Weekend



The weekend went well and my son seemed to enjoy himself as we did a little early celebration for our birthdays. Our birthdays don’t really occur until this coming weekend but he won’t be with me then so we did our own celebration this weekend.

I picked him up on Friday night in the hope that the weather on Saturday would cooperate so that we could play a round of golf. Well Saturday was dark and threatening so decided not to take the chance and just go downtown on Saturday instead. I am most fortunate to have a teenager who will go along with almost anything I suggest. So after enjoying a wonderful bunch at one of our favorite places up here in Woodbridge we ventured down into the city. After a bit of wandering around we ended up at the Chicken Deli to hear some old Jazz. I enjoy a cross section of music including small doses of old jazz but to have a 14 year old actually enjoy it is something else. Well I did have to throw in chicken wings to keep him satisfied but the afternoon went well.

It was my intention to go down to the Argos game in the evening but when he heard that we didn’t have tickets yet he was afraid we end up in the bleachers somewhere as wasn’t all that enthusiastic. Instead we went back up north to the new Vaughan Mills shopping centre and decided to bowl a few games at the new Lucky Strike Lanes. Well it is a great place, I am sure. Having bowled for many years I am not used to being in a bowling facility so well appointed. The location is very up scale including a bar and dining room, the staff are very professional and it is all very trendy, but dam I only came to bowl. For my son and I to bowl 3 games each plus the cost of his shoes came to close to $50 and then we had drinks in addition to that. All very nice but I wouldn’t do that again.

Later on Saturday night we went to the Moose and Firkin and played some pool and he played some of the video games. This is my local, and there he and I are known to all of the staff and most of the regulars. So that was a pleasant close to the day.

Sunday morning I served up bacon and eggs etc. and we went off to play nine holes at Park Shore over in Brampton. It is billed as the longest nine hole course in Ontario. We have played there a few times before and know the course fairly well. It is usually in pretty good shape but on Sunday morning after rain on Saturday night and also quite a bit during the previous week the course was just sopping. We get our round in without getting rained on but the sky was threatening throughout the afternoon.

To brighten up his afternoon before I had to take him home I took him over to Brampton to Hooters. I mean isn’t that a rite of passage when a boy is just reaching puberty. I do enjoy watching him trying to casually get a look at all the girls. But hey we only go for the wings…Right! Being a good Dad I had to have one of the girls pose for a picture with him, just to watch him blush a bit.

All in all not too bad and now I am facing a week from hell. My Boss “Attila” is on a rampage and I am trying to get my work done and stay out of his line of fire. Thank God we have a long weekend on the horizon. Take care all and hug someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home