Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Single Malt Whisky

Today's photo is a shot of the interior of Feathers Pub on Kingston Road on the north side of the Beaches. Ian the owner of the pub is a collector and connoisseur of single malt whiskies. The Feathers now has over 320 different single malts available which we are told is the largest collection in North America. Though I do enjoy a malt now and again I don't really know that much about them but I can tell you that even an amateur can taste the differences from the various regions of Scotland. I don't think I will attempt to distinguish all 320 in one evening though.

It is cold today and feels quite a bit more like winter than it has for the last month. I am not going skiing this weekend but I am going over to Ellicotville with a group of the other managers next weekend to ski. With this change to cooler weather I hope that the conditions will be good by next weekend.

I have spent quite a bit of time during the last few days trying to convince myself to sort out my life and get myself back on track. I have not been very productive here at work and my list of unfinished projects has grown. I just can't seem to get myself focused to concentrate on getting things completed. I have a whole list of partially completed projects. So instead of going off to enjoy myself I think I had better spend the majority of the weekend here in the office getting some things completed and other projects planned out.

I do enjoy working in my profession and I have often told people that this is what I would choose to do if I has given a choice of careers. I work in Human Resources and I enjoy working with people and helping them to be successful. I know that most people think that HR Department are only responsible for the hiring and firing but that really is less than 20% of my work. I spend much more time on developing people, resolving their problems, managing employee benefits, safety and compensation issues. Agreed there are times when I am involved with disciplinary problems and occasionally they end up with a termination as the final result but those are few and far between. More often we can encourage the employee to change or improve their performance and resolve the problem without resorting to formal discipline.

Right at the moment though I have a significant problem with a group of women who work in the same department. Three of these ladies are fairly new and two have been with the company for quite a few years. They simply are not getting along and working together. Their department manager is fairly new to the position and has pretty well thrown up his hands in despair. Now it is my turn to get in there and get to the bottom of the differences they are having and get them back to working together. This is not how I want to spend the last couple of hours on a Friday afternoon but it has to be done.

Enjoy your weekend and hug someone today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home