Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Having Fun Rolling Back in Time

I mentioned a few days ago that following my commitment to new years resolutions which included a resolution to get a bit more exercise I was intending to go out to Mississauga to a roller rink that I had heard about. Like many folks of my generation we grew up going to roller rinks that were the staple of teen entertainment in the 60's and 70's.

Six or seven years ago I began to blade and I must admit that it is now one of my favorite forms of summer entertainment. I frequently go and blade along the paved paths down by the lake. I like the chance to get out in the sunshine and fresh air and of course getting a little exercise is good for me and I enjoy it too. Blading along the paths though is for the most part moving in a single direction for extended periods of time. I often leave the Beach along the paved bike path and either blade downtown and back or go north and blade up to Sunnybrook Park and back. For several years I went with a group of friends to Niagara on the Lake and we made a day trip of blading to Niagara Falls and back. When we got to the Falls we took a couple of hours to do the tourist thing and enjoyed the falls then got together for dinner before we bladed back to Niaraga on the Lake.

Last evening I followed the directions given on their website and found my way to Scooter's Roller Rink in Mississauga. It is located on Royal Windsor Drive which is the extension of Lakeshore West beyond the town of Port Credit. I took my blades and used them rather than renting roller skates. The rink is virtually the same as those that we enjoyed years ago. They played the same style of music though it is a more modern variety and the whole arrangement was wonderfully similar. Tuesday evenings was a adult skate after 8:00 p.m. When I looked at their schedule there opportunities for family outings as well times reserved for adults. They also cater to children's birthday parties or group parties as well.

I was somewhat disappointed by the turnout for the adult period but there were quite a few other people leaving when I arrived because they also offer lessons earlier in the evening. I stayed for approximately two hours and I did enjoy myself. I have to admit though that my knees are a bit sore today which I think is just a result of the constant turns required when you skate on a rink. I am sure that my body will get used to this if I continue to take advantage of this nostalgic entertainment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home