Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Yurting We Will Go

Let me begin by saying that I did not shoot this photograph it is borrowed from Parks Ontario.
Yesterday I took out my camera to shoot something and I turned it on, it began to open and stopped. I changed the batteries and nothing happened. I tried two other sets on new batteries and nothing. I have a dead camera. GRRRRRR!

Well anyway this structure is a yurt and it is a great way to winter camp with a minimum of hardship.

I had seen these at Silent Lake Provincial Park and last year my buddy and his daughter and my son camped for a winter weekend. The kids are the same age, 13 years and seem to get along pretty well. We keep an eye on them to ensure they don't get along too well, if you know what I mean. We had his and hers gameboys to amuse them among other things.

This morning my friend emailed me to tell me that he had booked us for a weekend again this year. Since they are so popular the only available date he could get was March 24th weekend but I am sure we will still have snow by then. We all enjoyed the weekend and should have a great time agin this year.

The park personnel take you in on snowmobiles and also supply you with both wood and water. These structure are made on a heavy waterproof fabric and they have an air tight wood stove for warmth. In fact if you are not careful they can become too warm. Each one is also supplied with a gas barbeque and propane. We took along two of our own propane stoves and did all our cooking outdoors on the picnic table. No stoves are permitted in the yurt because of the danger with fire and carbon monoxide.

There are outhouses in the section of the park near each yurt so pretty well everything is taken care of. We had a few snow ball fights and I took along cross country skis though no one else was interested. The park sets and maintains ski tracks and the trails cover most degrees of skills. All in all it is great way to spend a winter weekend and I am really looking forward to this again. Did I mention wine, oh yes and Bailey's for the coffee in the morning and the kids get mashmallows for their hot chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home