Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Monday, October 16, 2006

I am Being Made to Feel that Having Ethics is a Business Hindrance

I have been absent from this page for another couple of weeks as my life got in the way of my writing. It has been another stressful time and the prospect for the future is more of the same.

Two weekends ago I went up to the trailer and closed up for the season. Buying this trailer added a positive dimension to my life which was and is in such a sorry state at the moment. I think I miss it already because at least I was getting away from this part of town and getting close or at least closer to nature when I was there.

The photo today is a little feathered friend who was busy looking for lunch while I was packing up some gear on the lawn in front of the trailer. I was no more than three feet away from him but all he seemed to do was check on me once in a while and kept on with his own chores. It seems that I am far better at communicating with the wild creatures than I am at opening up lines with the other members of my own species.

My work is getting more and more stressful and difficult resently as economic pressure is being forced on our business and then transferred from my boss, who also owns most of the business down to me. I am being directly to do things and treat peole in ways which I don't feel are either fair or just. My only alternative would be to give my notice and look for another position elsewhere but when one reaches 60 the chances of that being successful become less and less likely.

The ongoing positive side to my life is my son. He came and spent a couple of days with me over the last weekend. It was getting too cool to go out and loose golf balls so we opted to go and play and few games of bowling. Not exactly excitement to a fourteen year old but he was good about it and put up with his old man. We played three games each and as I saw his frustration mounting as I won each one I deceide we ought to leave while he was still talking to me. We decided that we also wanted to go and see a movie on Saturday night to help pass the time but we weren't able to find anything that interested us much so he rented the movie "Fletch" instead. It is a little light hearted comedy which was bearable to both of us. As I have said many times before I am very proud of my son. He is no scholar but he is good natured, caring, positive and well mannered. Everyone who meets him remarks to me afterward what great company he is and so nice to have him around etc.

I had better cut this short as I have an interview scheduled in a few minutes and have to get over to our other location. I will try to get back to a more regular routine of posting. I need to vent and would truely appreciate any feedback.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you, though I don't know you. I too find comfort in my children, in the way they are growing up and coming into their own. Your son sounds wonderful and it seems that he really enjoys time with you. You're making memories that will last him, memories that will shape him as a father even if he doesn't realize it yet.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with all of us.

Love,
The Butterfly Temptress

9:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home