Whine 'n' Cheese

A fifty something guy caught between earning a living in the corporate world and trying to live a personal life as a latent hippie.

Name:
Location: Toronto, Canada

Fiftysome male working in the corporate world to make a living but not a life. My interests in life are diverse from enjoying the city with it's music, theatre and range of characters to enjoying being in a canoe miles from nowhere in peace and quiet. My 14 year old son is the greatest blessing in my life even though he lives with his Mom he spends weekends with me and adds colour to my life.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Paddling My Own Canoe


The attached photo is The Queen Mother Café which is located on Queen West. I enjoyed a very tasty pasta special as my brunch on Saturday while I was wandering this favorite part of the city. I love the character and characters that you find in this section city.

The weekend was chilly but then again this is Ontario and it is February and we ought to expect this sort of weather. The fact that we are having this sort of weather is a good sign because it is a positive in the face of the treats of global warming. The weekend before the one just past my son and I enjoyed a day of skiing, I am here to tell you that it can get really cold on the chair lifts out in the wind when the temperature is running in the minus teens. We had a wonderful day because we dressed for it; the slopes were in good shape and the line ups where very short. We are planning on going again next weekend and we are looking forward to good conditions as new snow is forecast a couple of times this week.

On Saturday after having enjoyed myself on Queen Street, shopping for some new CDs and spending hours in one of Toronto’s best artist supply stores on Spadina I was feeling great. In the evening I was to meet another fellow who is close to my age and who is also single. He has been pressuring me to join him at one of the singles dances he regularly attends. I go through cycles, at times I am very content with my own company but every once in a while I miss having a woman to share some of life experiences with. My friend caught me on such a day and he was able to persuade me into agreeing to attend this dance. I really should know better.

When I arrived after, having some difficulty finding the venue, I was faced with a room filled with about 200 people. First of all my idea of a singles event is that it is attended by singles yet what I found was that most of the attendees were already in couples. My friend located me and seats me with some folks he knew. The ladies were very nice but as I chatted, or tried to chat over the blasting music, I could not visualize one of these people being remotely comfortable in being in a canoe, or biking on a trail, skiing or hiking. They could talk about television all night long. Yesterday I was with some friends trying to explain my frustration. I don’t want to meet someone twenty years my junior because I know from experience that doesn’t work and I don’t expect someone to share a common interest in all the stuff I do but I want to meet someone who has an adventuresome spirit and takes are real interest in life and will at least try to do some things with are physical as well as cultural.

The end result is I guess I’m canoeing alone for the next few decades.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gillian Young said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Good luck with the hunt for a woman to canoe with, you could find her anywhere, in the supermarket, in a coffee shop. And I bet you it will be less than few decades before you find her!

8:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

3:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home